Dewatering oil sands tailings using EKS-DT will:
- Reduce the costs of tailings management,
- Reduce demand on fresh water sources by increasing the water available for reuse,
- Decrease the disturbed land footprint from tailings handling, storage, and disposal, and
- Reduce GHG and other air pollution emissions by rapidly consolidating the FFT eliminating fugitive emissions and by reducing the use of heavy equipment and other machinery.
EKS has prepared a detailed quantitative life cycle analysis for its technology and used these results to compare its economic and environmental performance with other dewatering technologies. The EKS-DT process clearly out performs existing technologies. These results demonstrate clearly that the overall impact of EKS – Dewatering Technology will be to improve the long-term sustainability of Alberta’s oil sands industry.
Similar benefits are available by applying EKS-DT to other mining operations and industries where difficult-to-dewater slurries and/or unstable clay soil conditions are present.
EKS-DT Process Innovations
Following are some of the innovations developed by EKS:
- Patented power signature reduces energy consumption and extends life of anodes,
- Horizontal electrode arrays with dynamic spacing,
- Rapid and simple electrode array deployment system for large deposits,
- Automated control system that regulates the process to maximise energy efficiency and dewatering reliability,
- Energy-recovery gas collection systems, and
- Solar-powered EKS-DT systems.